Unlike many other sports, in skateboarding, you’re only as good as your equipment. You could be the best on the board, but if you’re board is the wrong size or poor quality, you’re not going to get very far and will end up frustrated. If you really want to succeed and get the most of it, you’re going to want to get the best, most complete skateboard for you. But there are thousands of companies that sell skateboard decks, skateboard trucks, and other essentials, that make it hard for you to decide which one is right for you and your skill level. Skateboard decks and skateboard trucks, wheels, and the other parts you need to make a complete skateboard, can be a little pricey. So you should do your research before you make the purchase. Here is a little guide to help you choose the right skateboard decks and skateboard trucks for you.
1) The first thing you should do is establish a budget. How much are you willing to spend on your new board? If you want a good board for less money, you should look into complete skateboards. These are pre-assembled and a much cheaper option for someone just starting out who isn’t sure if they want to shell out a ton of money for skateboard decks, skateboard trucks, wheels, and the other parts necessary to make your own board. But if you’re interested in spending a little more money to have a customizable board that is more your style, with parts that work with your weight, body and skate style, you should opt to build your own board. It’s also more of a fun project and it feels like a huge accomplishment when you are holding the board you put together and take it out for its first run.
2) The next step, is to decided what kind of board you want. You can opt for the more cruiser longboard, or a classic street/vert board. Typically, the longboard is more expensive so take that into consideration when making your purchase. Classics and street verts can run any where from $50-$400, so just keep you budget in mind when selecting one of these as well.
3) If you’re opting to build your own board, you need to find a good skateboard deck. You want this board to last, so don’t buy one from K-Mart, Target, etc. Decide what kind of skating you’re going to do. If you’re thinking about riding streets you may need a 7.5 or 8.0 deck. If you’re planning on riding vert, you should look into skateboard decks that are 8.0 and up.
4) The skateboard trucks are another crucial part of the skateboard. When purchasing skateboard trucks you should look for these characteristics:
– No more than 10 inches in length – A width that fits the deck. So if you’re board is 7.5 in width, you will need trucks that are 7.5 – You want it to be lightweight, especially if you’re planning on using it for vert – You want it to grind well. There are several truck companies that offer cool designs, but if you’re on a tight budget skip the frills and just go for the basics.